There have been many instances during this whole house renovation thing that have caused me to use an un-necessarily large amount of brain cells. As if this little tot inside of me and selling houses didn’t already absorb the short supply that I do have, let’s throw in a lot of difficult decisions that I will be looking at every single day for the next several years. Alrighty then.
1. Cabinet doors. Turns out it’s a terrible idea to take down cabinet doors and put them in the same location as the matching doors from the island (that is no longer there) and the built-ins (that are no longer there). The worst part is, once we got this figured out, there were also two bathrooms and a laundry room that had matching cabinets. The charade was never-ending. It took mom and me at least 2 hours to figure all of this out. You have NO IDEA.
2. Picking a Potty. I wasn’t too worried about this part. A potty is a potty is a potty. Or so I thought. Reese was pretty upset, because he wanted to be able to sit. You know, and think about it. Like everyone does on a potty. Think. We had also been given some helpful information from my brother about a round bowl vs. an elongated bowl. Reese was NOT about to get a round bowl after that. (If you’d like to know the weird details of this conversation, we can speak about it another time. This website isn’t ready for that.) After several moments of deliberation, we did leave the store with two porcelain thrones. Reese is still not totally satisfied; I’ll let y’all know how it all turns out.
3. Paint colors. HOW MANY GRAYS CAN THEIR POSSIBLY BE? Turns out, a lot. My biggest fear was picking a gray that turned out blue. We went with Amazing Gray from Sherwin Williams…and so far so good.
4. GETTING THE APPLIANCES DELIVERED TO OUR HOUSE. I’M TYPING THIS IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I’M STILL MAD ABOUT IT. NOT TO POO-POO ON A STORE, BUT WE WILL NEVER RELY ON LOWE’S TO DELIVER ANYTHING FOR US EVER AGAIN. IT LITERALLY TOOK 2 MONTHS FOR EVERYTHING TO BE DELIVERED TO OUR HOUSE – THAT’S SIX WEEKS LONGER THAN IT SHOULD HAVE TAKEN. THEY GAVE ME FOUR DIFFERENT DATES AND I STAYED HOME FROM WORK THOSE DAYS AND THE APPLIANCES NEVER SHOWED UP AND NOBODY EVER CALLED. ALSO, ONE APPLIANCE WAS DAMAGED. AND YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I WAS HUNG UP ON WHEN I CALLED THE STORE? TOO MANY. Ok, glad that’s off my chest.
5. Cabinet Hinges. I’m sure a lot of people know that there are different types of hinges for cabinets – Shocker! I’m not one of those people. Since we didn’t have thousands of dollars just lying around waiting to be spent, we opted on keeping our current kitchen cabinets and painting them. I wanted to get new hardware and lucky me I found an Amazon special on a 50-pack of hinges! Womp womp womp on Kyla. They were the wrong kind. I was so excited to start putting the doors back on and mom broke the news – they were “flat lay” and I needed “inset” or “onset”. I can’t even remember anymore and that was yesterday. News to anybody else? No? Just me?
We’re still learning here, clearly. Thank you Jesus Daddio is so handy because he and mom handle my mind-changing and moods and random spells of hunger like champs. I blame it on growing this baby. *Sidenote: last night I dreamed it was a girl for the first time. Up until now it had been a boy every time so I’m back to having no idea. In the dream Reese left and went to work before we named her and I was so upset.*
COUNTDOWN IS ON! ONLY ONE MORE WEEK AND (FINGERS CROSSED) WE’LL BE DONESKI!!